Thinking about getting a weave? Well, you’ve definitely come to the right place! Here in this article, we’re going to look at all aspects of the weave/extension process. We will look at the pros and cons as well as your weave/extension options. Getting weave extensions is very popular and if done correctly, can truly enhance your inherent, natural beauty.
What is a weave, exactly?
I guess it’s best to start with the fundamentals. A weave is like a type of wig that can be attached to your real hair to add additional volume or length. They can be very stylish and completely transform a look. Made out of either synthetic hair or pure virgin hair weaves, come in all kinds of different textures and styles. Although there is nothing wrong with using a weave that’s made out of fake hair, we strongly prefer weaves that are made out of 100% virgin hair. That means the hair has never been processed (i.e. no harsh chemical treatments. Our go-to brand for high quality weaves is Pure Allure hair. They offer a diverse selection of weaves that will surely meet your needs. Check them out!
Reasons You Should Consider a Weave (the Pros)
- Wearing a weave can help your hair. When you have a weave, it allows your natural hair to take a break. Put it into protective styles like cornrows, do the necessary maintenance, and watch it grow and strengthen while your gorgeous weave is shielding it from the elements. You typically wear a weave for about 2 months; this gives your natural hair all the time it needs to refresh itself.
- Weaves are durable. Think of getting a weave as an investment in enhancing your natural beauty. High-quality weaves (like those from Pure Allure Hair) are strong and will not wear down easily.
- Your style options are nearly limitless! Pure Allure Hair has so many weave options, such as Brazilian hair and Peruvian hair. You definitely can’t grow that yourself! Additionally, weaves can be dyed any colour and they come in various textures. With a weave, you don’t have to wait the months (or even years…yikes!) for your natural hair to grow to the necessary length needed for your desired style.
- Quick fabulosity. With a weave, you don’t have to wait the months (or even years…yikes!) for your natural hair to grow to the necessary length needed for your desired style. You can be fabulous in as little as a couple of hours instead of waiting weeks, months, etc.
Reasons not to get a Weave (the Cons)
If you can’t already tell, we’re big fans of weaves. However, with just about anything in life, there are some downsides. Prior to getting a weave put in, consider the following negative aspects:
- It can cost a pretty penny.
- Weaves can put tension on your scalp, which could result in headaches.
- If you wear extensions and weaves too much for too long, there is a very small possibility that your natural hair could deteriorate and lead to premature balding. To avoid this, wait a couple of months in between getting new weaves.
- It can take significant time and effort to take care of your weave.
Methods of Attaching Weaves
Once you have weighed the pros and cons of getting a wig, and if you’ve decided to move forward with getting one, you have to get it attached. There are a few different methods of attachment that each have their advantages and disadvantages.
- The sew-in method. With the sew-in method, your weave is attached to your scalp via thread. We recommend letting a professional stylist do it for you, but you could try it yourself to save money. Sew-in weaves are the most secure out of all the attachment methods. Check out this sew-in weave review on YouTube.
- The glue-in method. Your weave is literally attached to your scalp with adhesive glue. If maintained properly, you can keep it up for about two months. However, this method is known to damage natural hair and many individuals are allergic to glue, so this method is definitely not for everyone. But it does work super well for some people! Here is a tutorial if you’re considering doing it yourself.
- The fusion method. This method is the most expensive out of all the attachment methods. To use this method, your hair is sectioned into parts and your weave is attached via wax strand by strand. If properly maintained, a fusion weave can be worn for 3 to 6 months. It is very hard to see the bonds if you are not explicitly looking for them, which makes this the most natural looking weave available. Learn more about the pros and cons of this method here.
So those are the fundamentals of all things weaves! Although a weave isn’t for everyone, they are growing in popularity and have the capacity to enhance a woman’s natural beauty. They can be wonderful options for individuals looking to rest their natural hair or just want a new look. Are you ready for a weave? Don’t forget to check out Pure Allure Hair! Trust us, they’re fabulous.