No head of natural hair is the same. There’s an entire spectrum of wide waves, tight twists, nearly straight, and everything in between. Some are drier or more fragile than others. Although there is no standard for natural hair, there’s a rough guideline to find where you fit.
On a scale from 1 to 4C, there are about 10 different general hair types. The kinkier and tighter your curls are, the closer you are to the “4C” end of the scale. On the other hand, loose curls and waves are closer to the “1” end of the scale.
Knowing where you lie on this scale can really help you on your journey to proper hair care.
Despite our hair type, we all want to rock our natural hair without the frizz, split ends, and tangles. The battle ends today.
Your key to simple hair care lies below. We have hand-picked the best natural hair products to save you the hassle of research and testing!
Table of Contents
- Best Shampoos for Natural Hair
- Best Conditioner for Natural Hair
- Best Deep Conditioner for Natural Hair
- Best Leave In Conditioner for Natural Hair
- Best Moisturizer for Natural Hair
- Best Supplement for Natural Hair
- Best Oil for Natural Hair
- Best Heat Protectant for Natural Hair
- Best Flat Iron for Natural Hair
- Best Hair Dryer for Natural Hair
- Best Styling Products for Natural Hair
- Best Sleep Accessories for Natural Hair
- Avoid These Mistakes on your Natural Hair!
Best Shampoos for Natural Hair
Course, curly, thick hair types require special care to reveal and maintain their fabulous potential. When it comes to shampoo, the worst thing you can do is use products with sulfate. They do much more damage than good.
Despite how careful you are or how good your product is, washing strips natural oils and minerals from your hair. That’s why you need products with natural oils rather than sulfates. Moroccan, Argan, coconut, and jojoba oils are all found in the best products for natural hair. They revive some of what is lost in the washing process.
However, just because you see these names on the bottle does not mean one is as good as the next. Many products use the name for a good front but use more harsh chemicals than healthy oils. We’ve sifted through the chaos and put the best natural hair products to soap up your scalp right here.
- First, the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil growth promoting shampoo comes in a combo pack with conditioner and leave-in cream. These natural hair products will restore your hair from chemical and heat damage.
- PURA D’OR Gold Label Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo is made with aloe vera and red Korean seaweed for extra protection. Pumpkin seed oil, nettle, and black cumin seed oil are just a few of 17 natural ingredients that strengthen locks.
- Act Naturals Organic Argan Oil Shampoo is one of our favorite vegan products for natural hair. Stimulate and protect your locks with white willow bark, burdock root, rosemary, aloe vera, and hardworking DHT blockers. Thinning hair will become a thing of the past!
Best Conditioner for Natural Hair
When you have thick, course hair, washing it just isn’t enough. Many people with this hair type will find their scalps soaking up moisturizers quicker than they can use it.
That’s why you’ll most likely find yourself conditioning more than shampooing. Natural hair products should not only reduce dryness but strengthen and soften your locks as well. Ideally, a lot of us want to detangle too!
In order to get everything your hair needs out of the best natural hair products, buy ones made for course, thick hair.
Store shelves hold so many options it’ll make your head spin. Save yourself the trouble with one of our favorite conditioners below!
- While silicon in cheap conditioners make your hair feel soft, they’re really doing damage. When you use Era Organics Premium Natural Hair Conditioner, you can feel confident in its natural, healthy ingredients.
- Did you know it’s possible to soak up the sun without ending the day with frizzy, dry locks? ArtNaturals Argan Oil Conditioner reinvigorates your hair and works hard all day to protect it from heat and UV rays.
- Soften your hair with the power of sea kelp! You’ll love the smooth, soft feeling that Shea Moisture Organic Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner gives your luscious locks.
Best Deep Conditioner for Natural Hair
Is there a difference between normal conditioner and a deep conditioner? Very much so.
You’ll use normal conditioner just about every day or every other day. Deep conditioners do exactly what they say – they go deep. It will stick to your hair longer and revive your hair from the root. Think of normal conditioner as fast-acting and deep conditioner as extended release.
Since it stays on your scalp longer, you’ll only use it about once a week. The driest types of hair might require two sessions per week. Which one of these hair products for natural hair will you use to hydrate your scalp and tame fly-away hairs?
Recommended Deep Conditioners
- Are you sick of tats and tangles? You can easily manage them with ArtNaturals Argan Oil Hair Mask! It has everything your hair and skin love with a very light, floral scent.
- Reviving your dull, dry hair doesn’t have to be a hassle! Professional Series Hydrating Argan Oil Mask calms wiry and fly-away hairs with cosmetic-grade Argan oil.
Best Leave In Conditioner for Natural Hair
Conditioner, deep conditioner, and now leave-in conditioner? Do you really need it all? Maybe.
As we said before, all natural hair is different and will require unique methods of care. If you still find your marvelous mane dry and hard to manage after loads of conditioner, you might try leave-in conditioner. It can give you the all-day sheen you’ve been looking for!
Even if you don’t use it every day, it is handy to have on-the-go. In the middle of a long day (or night), our hair starts to give out. Simply bring it back to life with a touch of leave-in conditioner!
Transform your tresses today with one of the best natural hair products right here.
Recommended Leave In Conditioners
- Do you step out of the shower only to find your hair is still full of tangles and tats? Simply spritz It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In plus Keratin to detangle and protect your hair all day!
- Leave-In conditioners don’t have to be heavy and greasy. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave In Conditioner will nourish and protect your succulent scalp through thick and thin!
- Finding fabulous hair care without harmful ingredients can be a frustrating search. End your woes with Carol’s Daughter Pracaxi Nectar Wash-n-Go Leave In Conditioner! Pracaxi oil and jojoba team up with other natural ingredients to make one of the best products for natural hair.
Best Moisturizer for Natural Hair
While conditioners work on the scalp to nourish your hair from within, a little bit of extra help doesn’t hurt.
Moisturizers stay on the surface to work double time. They work to soften and detangle hair as well as protect it from harmful heat. When you want to try a new style or spend time out in the heat and humidity, try a moisturizer.
Many of the bottom shelf brands are greasy, stain your clothes, and simply do not feel good. That’s not at all how it’s supposed to work! Start your succulent scalp with these hair products for natural hair. You won’t find a more affordable, effective product anywhere else.
- You can use Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker every day to heal and strengthen your hair. No grease, no stains, no breaks, no problems! You can trust it to effectively absorb into your locks while leaving a light, tropical scent.
- Stop and smell the flowers with Loma Moisturizing Treatment! Use it daily or as needed for soft, bouncy curls without greasy, filmy residues.
Best Supplement for Natural Hair
Even if you eat healthy and drink plenty of water, it’s not always enough. Sometimes a little bit of an extra push is all your hair needs.
Multi-vitamins are okay for general health, but some are made just for your hair, skin, and nails. The best natural hair products will strengthen and thicken your hair with:
- Fish Oil
- Vitamins C & D
- B-Complex Vitamins
- Aloe Vera
- Rosemary Essential Oil
While you can find most of these alone, you don’t have to search for a supplement that includes them all. Most likely, much of what you find on the shelves are not totally honest about their ingredients anyway. Don’t worry – we’ve already found the best supplements you can trust to use with your natural hair products.
- Say goodbye to hair loss and say hello to Foligen! All-natural ingredients combine with the power of science and FDA approval to assist in the regrowth of your hair.
- Brock Beauty Hairfinity Healthy Hair Vitamins prevents breakage and hair loss while increasing elasticity. It gets even better by slowing down greying as well!
- You don’t have to second-guess Biotin (High Potency) 5,000mcg Veggie Softgels. They have cGMP, NSF, and IGEN certifications to prove their competence in supporting strong hair, skin, and nails.
Best Oil for Natural Hair
Are you trying to grow your hair to no avail? It’s a struggle that many of us fight with more than we should.
That’s why the best products for natural hair aid in growth and give it a sleek sheen that everyone will envy. Rather than working on only the scalp or surface, the oils conquer both. Massaging it deep into your hair and scalp is a feeling unlike any other.
Besides the health benefits, the next greatest part of these oils are the naturally delicious scents! They’re proof that you don’t need harsh salon smells to have fabulous, touchable hair. Check out our favorites below.
- Get more out of your hair care with Nature’s Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. You can hydrate your locks, lips, and dry skin or create DIY make-up removers and facial masks too!
- Do you want to remove uncomfortable calluses, shine nails, and moisturize your hair? You can do it all with Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil!
- Discover the wonders of Morocco with PURA D’OR 100% Organic Moroccan Argan Oil. Anti-aging properties and environment-friendly practices make this one an all-time favorite.
Best Heat Protectant for Natural Hair
Do you have a strict morning ritual with your straightening iron? Maybe you just like to change things up a bit for a big night out. Either way, you shouldn’t be putting your locks at risk for the sake of straight hair.
While your hair is wet, apply one of these protectant hair products for natural hair. Let it all soak in before blow drying and you’re ready to go!
Some people prefer to apply it twice (before and after drying) for extra security. However, this is not usually necessary. Once it’s been absorbed in wet hair, that’s all you really have to do.
Perhaps the reason some people double-apply is because they are using low grade products. Don’t make that same mistake! Try one of these instead.
Recommended Heat Protectants
- Embrace the heat with CHI Silk Infusion. Wheat and soy proteins pair with pure silk to protect your hair even in the worst of conditions!
- HSI Professional Argan Oil heat Protector will smash your fear of the flat iron! No amount of styling heat can defeat this USA-made, top quality oil.
Best Flat Iron for Natural Hair
No matter how much you love your natural hair, it’s fun to change things up a bit sometimes. However, excess heat from flat irons can damage hair over time. Courser hair is even more prone to heat damage since it’s typically more brittle.
That doesn’t mean that you have to give up the occasional straight hairstyle. You can pull it off without harming your hair.
The key thing to remember is the safe temperature range for ironing medium to course hair: 350F – 410F degrees. Do not for any reason go above 450F!
Keep track of the temperature with a flat iron that lets you adjust the heat. Some are even designed to protect natural hair from burning, snagging, and breaking. Here are our favorite picks!
Recommended Flat Irons
- Throw away your bulky, clunky wand and pick up the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Straightening Iron! Your hair will come silky straight through the 1.5-in titanium plates at one of the 50 heat levels you choose.
- HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron gives you complete freedom from snagging and tearing while you style. The curved edges on the plates follow your lead at the temperature that’s best for your hair!
Best Hair Dryer for Natural Hair
Although air-drying is the best method for every type of hair, hectic mornings call for quick action. That’s where the hair dryer saves the day.
Since the best natural hair products protect your hair from heat, using a hair dryer seems counterintuitive. If you use a cheap dryer, this is true. However, there are affordable hair dryers with heat settings that are safe for your perfect plaits.
Say no to junky dryers that damage hair and try one of these instead.
Recommended Hair Dryers
- Sensitive, unruly hair requires more than just a high or low heat setting. The BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium Dryer has 6 heat and speed settings to dry your hair without the fuzzy, frizzy mess!
- The Infiniti Pro by Conair 1875 Watt Salon Performance AC Motor Hair Dryer lasts 3x as long as an average hair dryer. Long life, shiny hair, and 3 heat settings make it a real bang for your buck!
Best Styling Products for Natural Hair
Since you already have curly hair, there’s no reason to buy a curling product, right? Guess again!
Styling creams and mousses won’t give you twists. They tame the frizz, fuzz, and mess that disguise your cute curls! That’s why the best natural hair products expose your innate beauty rather than weigh it down or otherwise hide it.
Cheap styling gels and creams will leave crunchy, flaky residue in your hair. It doesn’t feel good, look good, or even work very well. Talk about a bad hair day!
Forget the bottom shelf brands and try a styling product made with heart. Here are the best natural hair products to keep your twists smooth and silky.
Recommended Styling Products
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie softens your curls so they can bounce back to life! Tame your twists into radiant rings with the power of neem oil and silk protein.
- Just a dab of Miss Jessie’s Multicultural Curls gives you style all day without the dry crunch. Fruit, vegetable, and flower extracts and proteins not only keep your locks healthy, but make them smell good too!
- Stop dealing with embarrassing flakes and pick up Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse! Its recipe from Sierra Leone make managing thick, curly styles a snap.
Best Sleep Accessories for Natural Hair
Who knew you could develop healthy hair in your sleep? Believe it or not, it’s very possible. All it takes is a little bit of silk. It’s easy to keep clean, it looks nice, and most importantly, it feels amazing.
How does this help your hair? Silk offers:
- Anti-UV functions
- Natural protein fibers
- Heat resistance
More so, keeping a collection of scarves gives you that much more choice in accessories for work and play. With all of the patterns and colors out there, you surely have something in your closet to match! Who knew the best natural hair products could be so fashionable?
Then at the end of the day, it continues to serve a purpose. Before you start counting sheep, try one of these comfy items to make your best natural hair products work even longer.
Recommended Sleep Accessories
- With 11 different styles to choose from, you can wear the ETSYG 32” Silk Scarf to bed or out on the town. Healthy locks don’t have to fall by the wayside for the sake of fashion!
- The Alaska Bear Natural Silk Pillowcase is made of 100% hypoallergenic, organic silk. Handmade craftsmanship and 29 color choices are just a bonus to the benefits it breathes into your hair and skin!
Avoid These Mistakes on your Natural Hair!
Now you know all of the best natural hair products to keep on the shelf. You know when and how to use them. So far, you’re on the right track to keeping your kinky curls strong and healthy.
What else could be holding you back or otherwise counteracting your efforts? If you want to keep healthy locks, remove these bad habits from your hair care routine!
- Bleach is for cleaning white clothes, floors, and walls. It is not meant for hair. You cannot attack your scalp with harsh chemicals and expect to keep healthy hair. Even extreme conditioning and moisturizing will not make up for the damage done.
Washing Too Much or Too Little
- Although you shouldn’t wash course, thick hair every day, you shouldn’t wait too long in between either. The timing depends on your own routine and cleanliness, especially when it comes to your level of activity. As a rule of thumb, you should at least wash your hair once a week to get rid of the daily grime, dust, and pollution.
Not Trimming Split Ends
- There isn’t anything you can do to “fix” split ends that doesn’t involve a pair of scissors. The longer you let them go, the further they travel up your hair and do more damage. Every 2-3 months, you should at least trim the bottom inch or so away. Otherwise, you’ll start to notice thin, weak sections in your hair as well as slow growth. Even the best natural hair products won’t save you from the not-so-savvy splits!
Home Hair Treatments
- Although you should avoid chemical treatments altogether, it can be fun to experiment with new colors and textures. Since these chemicals already come with obvious risks, do not attempt to do it yourself. Spend the extra effort to visit a professional that has the best natural hair products and knows how to use them.
Incoming Search Terms:
- natural hair products
- products for natural hair
- hair products for natural hair
- best natural hair products
- natural hair products for black hair
- natural hair care products